Sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking, and harassment are priority concerns for the Women's Center.
The Women’s Center offers the following free counseling and advocacy services to students, faculty, and staff who have been impacted by sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking and harassment:
- Support, advocacy, and crisis intervention.
- Individual and group counseling.
- Support and assistance to friends and family.
- Accompaniment to medical facilities, law enforcement, court proceedings, and university conduct hearings.
- Information about the criminal, university, and civil options for reporting and adjudicating a crime.
- Information about counseling options on and off campus.
- Academic relief and other types of academic assistance.
- Information about forensic evidence collection offered at the Carilion New River Valley Medical Center in Radford, as well as medical care resources on campus and in the community.
- Assistance in finding safe housing if you are not safe in your own home or residence, including both on- and off-campus options.
- Information about other campus and community resources.
- Consultation services for faculty and staff on how to support students who disclose sexual assault, relationship violence, and/or stalking.
A note about confidentiality of services:
The Women’s Center is here to provide a safe space and will make every effort to preserve our clients' privacy. In certain situations, information may be shared with other university departments in order to assist survivors, to provide for the safety of survivors, and/or provide for the safety of the campus community. If you have questions about confidentiality and privacy at the Women’s Center or other university departments, please contact us for further explanation.
Meet the Counseling and Advocacy Team:
|Traci Terry||Gender-based Violence Advocacy Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Jessica Prince-Sanders||Assistant Director of Advocacy Servicesemail@example.com|
|Katie Mey||Gender-based Violence Prevention Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Christine Dennis Smith||Co-Director, Servicesemail@example.com|
|"Dr." Delaware||Therapy Dog|
|"Dr." Ellie||Therapy Dog|
How to make an appointment:
- Call 540/231-7806 (between 8am and 5pm, Monday through Friday) and ask to schedule an appointment with a counselor.
- E-mail one of the counselors listed above.
- Come by the Women’s Center (between 8am and 5pm, Monday through Friday) and ask to set up an appointment.
The Women’s Center operates on the standard university schedule (open 8am – 5pm, Monday through Friday except for holidays and other times the university is closed).
If you have an emergency or need to speak to someone immediately and the Women’s Center is closed, please contact the Women’s Resource Center of the NRV 24 –hour hotline at 540/639-1123.
If your safety is in jeopardy, please call 911.
For more information visit www.stopabuse.vt.edu or follow the links below:
|What is Sexual Assault||Campus and Community Resources|
|What is Stalking||Virginia Tech policy regarding sexual assault|
|What is Relationship Violence||Virginia State law regarding sexual assault|
Follow the Women's Center at Virginia Tech
Phone: (540) 231-7806
Fax: (540) 231-6767
Announcements & Upcoming Events:
- March is Women's Month!!
- AWARE is accepting applications for next year's team! Click here for more information.
- Did you know there are 24 dedicated lactation spaces on campus? Click here to find out more!
- Thursdays @ the Women's Center, Kids' Night Out drop-in childcare [except when VT is closed and Thursday home football games]
- Start Smart Salary Negotiation Workshops are back!!! To request a program, complete this form.
- FEB 15th @ 7-8PM, Women's Center Main Conference Room: "Find Your Opportunity: Job/Internship Search Strategies," part of the Career Ready Women series with Career & Professoinal Development
- FEB 22nd @ 7-8PM, Women's Center Main Conference Room: "Share Your Value: Interview Prep," part of the Career Ready Women series with Career & Professoinal Development
- MAR 22nd @ 7-8PM, Women's Center Main Conference Room: "Know Your Worth: Salary Negotiation," part of the Career Ready Women series with Career & Professoinal Development