Equal Pay Day takes place each April, symbolizing how many days into the year that women have to work to earn the same amount that men earned as of December 31st the previous year. Today, women who work full-time earn, on average, 77 cents for every dollar that men earn. Compared with white men, African American women earn 67 cents on the dollar, and Hispanic women earn about 58 cents. One year out of college, women working full-time earn only 80% as much as their male colleagues earn, even when they have the same degree and the same job. Ten years after graduation, women fall further behind, earning only 69% as much as men earn. While the issues associated with the gender wage gap are complex, negotiation skills are identified as one key component to reducing the pay gap between men and women.
The Start Smart campus initiative is a collaboration between the American Association of University Women (AAUW) and the WAGE Project, developed to empower college women and provide them with the tools to negotiate salaries and benefits as they approach the job market. Start Smart campus salary negotiation workshops are three-hour, nuts-and-bolts trainings, designed to help college women obtain fair and realistic first salaries. Workshop participants engage in role-play exercises to gain concrete negotiation skills, learn about the personal consequences of the gender wage gap, learn how to benchmark reasonable salaries and benefits, and gain insight into their bottom line and how to budget.
Please complete all of the required information in this form regarding your proposed workshop and someone will contact you to solidify a time, date, and any other logistics. To ensure we can schedule facilitators to accommodate your request, requests must be made at least two weeks (14 days) in advance.
For additional information about the Start Smart salary negotiation workshop, contact Mallory at the Women's Center.
Follow the Women's Center at Virginia Tech
Phone: (540) 231-7806<
Fax: (540) 231-6767
Announcements & Upcoming Events:
- Did you know there are 24 dedicated lactation spaces on campus? Click here to find out more!
- Thursdays @ the Women's Center, Kids' Night Out drop-in childcare [except when VT is closed and Thursday home football games]
- Start Smart Salary Negotiation Workshops are back!!! To request a program, complete this form.
- Call for Nominations for VT Women's Alliance Executive Leadership positions. Click here to learn more! Deadline is April 26th.
- APR 25 @ 2-3:30PM, Mindfulness and Relaxation Skills workshop, Women's Center Conference Room
- APR 27 @ 4-5:30PM, VT Women's Alliance Open Meeting, Graduate Life Center, Room C
- MAY 2 @ 2-3:30PM, Practicing Self Care in Stressful Times, Women's Center Conference Room