Equal Pay Day takes place each April, symbolizing how many days into the year that women have to work to earn the same amount that men earned as of December 31st the previous year. Today, women who work full-time earn, on average, 77 cents for every dollar that men earn. Compared with white men, African American women earn 67 cents on the dollar, and Hispanic women earn about 58 cents. One year out of college, women working full-time earn only 80% as much as their male colleagues earn, even when they have the same degree and the same job. Ten years after graduation, women fall further behind, earning only 69% as much as men earn. While the issues associated with the gender wage gap are complex, negotiation skills are identified as one key component to reducing the pay gap between men and women.
The $tart$mart campus initiative is a collaboration between the American Association of University Women (AAUW) and the WAGE Project, developed to empower college women and provide them with the tools to negotiate salaries and benefits as they approach the job market. $tart$mart campus salary negotiation workshops are three-hour, nuts-and-bolts trainings, designed to help college women obtain fair and realistic first salaries. Workshop participants engage in role-play exercises to gain concrete negotiation skills, learn about the personal consequences of the gender wage gap, learn how to benchmark reasonable salaries and benefits, and gain insight into their bottom line and how to budget.
$tart$mart workshops will be held in the spring. Stay tuned!
Follow the Women's Center at Virginia Tech
Phone: (540) 231-7806
Fax: (540) 231-6767
Announcements & Events:
- Nominations are currently being accepted for the 2016-17 cohort of the Women's Leadership and Mentoring Program! Deadline is August 17th.
- The Women's Center is hiring! We are searching for a part-time Gender-Based Violence Victim Advocate to provide crisis intervention, counseling, advocacy and support to students, faculty, and staff impacted by gender-based violence. View the full posting.
- Tuesday, Aug. 16th, 7:30-9AM @ D2 Dining Center, VT Women Connect Fall Kick-off Breakfast FEST (register here)
- Tuesday, Sept. 6th, 4-6PM @ the Women's Center, Open House & Meet-and-Greet with new staff
- Wednesday, Sept. 21st, 4-6PM @ Owens Banquet Hall, Welcome Reception for New Women Colleagues (registration required)
- Tuesday, Sept. 27th, Noon-1:30PM @ the Inn, AdvanceVT/Women's Center Leadership Luncheon featuring Dr. Menah Pratt-Clarke, vice provost for inclusion & vice president for strategic affairs (registration required)
- Thursday, Oct. 27th, Noon-1:30PM @ Owens Banquet Hall, VT Women Connect Networking Luncheon featuring Tracy Vosburgh, Senior Associate Vice President for University Relations (register here)