Red Flag Campaign
Research indicates that in one out of five college dating relationships contains abuse. Many people don't speak out, and many don't even recognize the abuse. What if you could be the one to "Say Something"?
What is the Red Flag Campaign?
This campaign is a statewide public awareness effort aimed at stopping relationship violence on college campuses in Virginia. The goal of the campaign is to encourage us all to speak up when we see red flags (or warning signs for potential abusive or unhealthy behaviors) in our friends' relationships. The campaign was created by the Virginia Sexual and Domestic Violence Action Alliance and is being used to prevent relationship violence in 49 states.
How Can You Participate?
- Wear Red Day Oct. 29th! Wear Red in solidarity with the Red Flag campaign and show support for survivors of relationship violence in our community. Consider picking up a button or sticker for the day too! Outreach dates below.
- Educate yourself and others! We offer 30 min. presentations that are designed as an introduction conversation on identifying red flags and how to help a friend. It was developed with student orgs., residence hall floors, and other groups in mind. Request to bring one to your group at https://tinyurl.com/RedFlagVT! Please be advised that we need ~2 weeks planning time between your request submission and your desired presentation date/time.
- Spread the word! Share the message with others by displaying Red Flag Campaign posters in your spaces. These posters present examples of the campaign message on one side and a helpful list defining and differentiating red flags from healthy signs to help you assess your own relationships on the back. Request posters and resource materials here: https://forms.gle/9BbCavrW8NtiS4Dm6
- Stop by for some swag!
We are tabling at the following dates and locations (weather permitting). We'd love to see you and give you some buttons and stickers for your backpack or laptop as well as other giveaways.
- Wed. Oct. 16th 11:00-2:30 Library (Alumni Mall Entrance)
- Thursday, October 24th 11:00-2:30 Owens
- Wednesday, October 30th 11:00-2:30 Dietrick Patio
Interested in focusing on Bystander skills related to relationship violence? Check out our Bringing In The Bystander program and request a workshop.
Interested in something longer than 30 mins. or tailored for a special audience? Contact Katie2@vt.edu to learn more about what SAVES can offer or what the Women's Center can do for you on this topic.
If you have further question, contact Katie.