Sexual Assault Awareness Month
What is Sexual Assault Awareness Month?
During the month of April, the National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC) holds Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM), a national campaign to increase awareness of sexual violence and education on how to prevent it and support survivors. For the spring semester, the Interns at the Women’s Center of Virginia Tech are initiating the SAAM theme of “I Ask,” which focuses on asking for consent in multiple forms of relationships. In support of a mission to promote a safe, equitable, and supportive community, the Women’s Center hopes to build support for this national effort across the Virginia Tech and Blacksburg community. Please check out this SAAM 2019 google drive folder which contains information about dates and times of our events, as well as additional resource information pieces, all free to use. Our goal is to provide education on healthy consent practices and access to resources on how to help a friend who has experienced some form of sexual violence.
How can you support SAAM this year?
1. As a member of the VT community, we encourage you to send our information out to larger body of individuals. More specifically, we encourage you to share two pieces of information from our google drive:
- Our SAAM campaign efforts about consent and digital consent.
- Our campaign graphics for our events.
2. Participate in our Wear Teal Day on Tuesday, April 2nd, in honor of Sexual Assault Awareness Month.
3. Stop by our info. booths on campus from the week of 3/25 through 4/8. Find out where to find us and what kind of swag and prizes we will have on our social media!
3. Attend one of our main events. A calendar is provided for you in the google drive folder linked above. A few highlighted events are:
- SAVES presentation of "It Happens to Hokies" on 4/1 from 6-7 pm and 4/2 from 7-8 pm
- Interns hosting a Hunting Ground movie screening on 4/10 from 7-9 pm.
4. Follow us on social media! Find us on Instagram and Twitter at @womenscentervt and on Facebook at /VTWomensCenter. Like, share, and re-post to spread the SAAM 2019 message with your friends, family, and followers.
5. Sign up to participate in a Bringing in the Bystander (BIB) workshop to help your organization with bystander intervention skills this spring or in the upcoming fall 2019. Find out more about BIB and find our new request form at https://www.womenscenter.vt.edu/Program/BIB.html